We’re down to the final two exams in our house this week and all of our energy is being directed to studying rather than making meals. So this weekends food prep was focused on quick and easy snack foods that would help keep us fueled and satisfied while we hit the books. I decided to switch up one of our favourite recipes this week and created these pizza quinoa bites.
These little gems are full of flavour and are easily altered to please anyone (or any diet). In our case, I made two versions: one packed with onion and pepperoni, and the other a cheesy vegetarian pizza version.
Once you have the quinoa cooked and cooled, you mix all of the ingredients in one bowl. This is where you get to have fun – this is the chance to make it your own. There are so many options: why not try adding chopped grilled onions and peppers, mix up the cheese and try one of your favourites, or replace the pepperoni with salami? Have fun with it!
Once you’re done creating, press the mixture firmly into the cups of a well-greased mini muffin pan and bake. That’s it. Easy.
Our traditional favourite is a Buffalo Chicken version: replace the pizza sauce with Buffalo sauce, add diced chicken instead of pepperoni, and serve with a Ranch dipping sauce on the side. They’re the perfect pop of heat and flavour for an easy satisfying snack!
If you try the recipe and switch it up, be sure to share your ideas here!
Pizza Quinoa Bites
- 12 cup mini muffin pan
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup pepperoni chopped*
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes **or substitute with breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray mini muffin pan with cooking spray, coating well.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients until well combined.
- Fill each muffin cup completely, pressing down firmly.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Serve with your favourite marinara or other dipping sauce.