If you’re a fan of the spicy flavour of a Hermit cookie, you’ll love these mincemeat cookies! Even if you’re not a fan of this traditional Christmas pie or tart filling, you’ll like these…I promise.
Alright, I swear this is the last of my leftover Christmas mincemeat and the end of the mincemeat recipe posts, at least for now (but how anyone could get tired of mincemeat, I’ll never understand).
After making gluten-free mincemeat pancakes last week, I still had a pile of mincemeat on my hands. Luckily for me, I had another recipe at my fingertips in my BBC Good Food Christmas magazine, this time for cookies.
Now I’m the only one in my home that enjoys mincemeat, and since I am strictly gluten-free, I really wanted a recipe for me. This particular recipe was not gluten-free BUT, I hoped it could easily be converted.
I took a gamble with my precious holiday food, and I’m so glad I did. Before the cookies had even finished baking, the warm cozy smell of Christmas floating through the house had won me over. I knew I would have to make more.
I immediately used up the last of my mincemeat on a second batch of cookies, this time made as the recipe was written (gluten and all). I had to share them. These one’s were going to be a gift shared between my sister and my girlfriend.
I’m pleased to say everyone loved them. Even my husband tried one from the gluten-free batch, and to his surprise, he liked it! And he is not a mincemeat fan. Sadly, this now means I have to share my cookies.
So…the end of the mincemeat, the end of the holidays, and the end of the holiday food posts. For now.
You can find the original recipe on the BBC Good Food website here. My gluten-free version is posted below. Whatever time of year it is, don’t hesitate to give these a whirl!
Mincemeat Cookies (Gluten-Free)
- 125 g butter softened
- 100 g brown sugar
- 50 g cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 tbsp mincemeat
- 220 g gluten-free flour I used Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two cookies sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat softened butter with brown sugar, cane sugar, and salt.
- Beat in egg, vanilla, and mincemeat.
- In a second bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Add to butter mixture and combine. Chill the dough for 20 minutes.
- Place tablespoons of dough onto baking sheets, leaving room for dough to spread.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
- Let stand for a few minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.