Sweet potato hash is one of my favourite go-to breakfast or brunch options. Prepared in a skillet, this savory dish comes together quickly and easily, is full of flavour, and is a healthy meal option loaded with vegetables.
It’s wet and cold outside and we’re all a little sad inside: we should have been heading off on vacation today.
This is my third cancelled vacation in a row now, and the second for the rest of my little family, so it’s a hard day, and sadly, Mother Nature seems to be providing the weather to suit our moods. Stuck inside, there seems to be little to brighten our spirits and we’re all feeling it.
While there’s little I can do to change our situation, I can help change the mood in the house – comfort food to the rescue!
Thanks to our weekend trip to the farm for our groceries, our pantry and refrigerator are loaded with vegetables, and this sweet potato hash dish is the perfect way to bring them together. One item I picked up with my order were these beautiful sunflower seedlings and I knew they would be a fabulous and healthy topper for the dish.
One of our kids is a vegetarian, so this version doesn’t have meat in it, but you can add it to the dish quite easily. If I’m not worried about serving it as a vegetarian option, I love to add turkey sausage to the skillet. To add meat to the recipe, cook your meat in the skillet prior to starting the recipe. Remove the meat, drain off the fat and continue the recipe as instructed below. Return your meat to the skittle and mix into the vegetables just before you add the eggs.
Everything is cooked in one skillet and comes together as a great meal option for any time of the day. Adding an egg on top is optional, but when that yolk pours out over those veggies…mmm! Delicious. Top it all off with some chopped chives or green onion – whatever you prefer or have on hand – and it’s sure to brighten your day.
If you prefer, this dish can also easily be downsized to create a meal of just one or two servings.
Sweet Potato Hash
- 2 tbsp coconut oil *or vegetable oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped into small dice pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped *or pepper of choice
- 2 stalks celery, sliced or chopped
- S & P
- chives or green onion, chopped *for topping
- 4 large eggs *optional
- Other toppings as desired For example, avocado or parsley
- Place large oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add oil.
- Add sweet potatoes to skillet being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown.
- Add onions, celery, and peppers.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until just tender.
- To add eggs, reduce heat to medium low and create wells in the vegetable mixture. Gently crack an egg into each well and cook to desired doneness. You can cover the skillet with a lid to help cook the eggs all the way through if preferred.
- When eggs are cooked, sprinkle with your favourite toppings and enjoy.