If there was ever a year to celebrate something special and have some fun in July, this is it, so bring on the holiday cheer!
Christmas is my favourite time of the year, and why not enjoy it twice if you can? This week in our house, we’re putting together a Christmas celebration for this upcoming weekend. We’re baking our favourite holiday goodies, and hanging up some Christmas cheer.
Today’s task was to bake a batch or two of these fantastic gluten-free Christmas oatmeal cookies! We baking off one batch to enjoy right away, and we’re freezing the second to enjoy at a later date.
For quality testing purposes of course, we enjoyed a few today – perfect with a cup of coffee for an afternoon treat (might have to make a third batch).
Here are our frozen cookies ready to be transferred to storage bags and frozen.
Do you celebrate Christmas in July? What’s your favourite Christmas food?
My next task…homemade mincemeat!
Gluten-free Oatmeal Christmas Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1.5 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup red and green (holiday) M&M’s
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and both sugars.
- Beat in egg, then stir in vanilla.
- In a second bowl, combine oats, flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon and stir into butter mixture.
- Stir in the M&M’s.
- Place tablespoons of dough about 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie slightly with a large fork.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.